Eligibility for Service
BVI Eligibility Criteria
Students, ages 0 – 21, eligible for services shall have a diagnosis from a licensed eye specialist within the last 12 months as having at least one of the following:
- Visual acuity of 20/70 or less, at near or distance, in the better eye with best correction or, for difficult-to -test children or youth, an estimated acuity and/or visual behavior which is significantly abnormal from what is developmentally age-appropriate.
- Visual field of 20 degrees or less, or a diagnosis of hemianopsia or bilateral scotomas.
- Congenital or degenerative condition.
- Medical diagnosis of Cortical Visual Impairment (CVI) made by an ophthalmologist, or neurologist.
- Temporary eye conditions such as post-operative retinal detachment or patching where service for a limited time is required (at the discretion of the Provincial Supervisor).
Students must also demonstrate one of the following functional implications:
- Reduced or variable visual acuity due to eye condition, environmental factors or visual fatigue.
- Limited ability to visually access the full range of program-appropriate media and materials.
DHH Eligibility Criteria
Students, ages 0 – 21, eligible for services shall be diagnosed by an audiologist within the last 12 months as having a slight hearing loss or greater in the better ear which is not reversible in a reasonable period of time and for which amplification is prescribed or having single-sided deafness.