Policy Type: Governance Process
Policy Title: Board Members’ Code of Conduct
Date Adopted: June 13, 2019
Date Reviewed: November 17, 2023
The Board commits itself and its members to ethical, professional, and lawful conduct, including proper use of authority and appropriate decorum when acting as Board members.
- Members must have loyalty to the ownership; be un-conflicted by loyalties to staff, other organizations, and any personal interest as a client.
- Members must avoid conflict of interest with respect to their fiduciary responsibility.
- There must be no self-dealing or business by a member with the organization. Members will annually disclose their involvements with other organizations, with vendors, or any associations that might be or might reasonably be seen as being a conflict.
- A Board member who has an unavoidable conflict of interest regarding any Board discussions/decisions, shall withdraw from the deliberation as well as any vote.
- Board members will not use their positions to obtain or influence employment in the organization for themselves, or any family member or associate.
- Board members may not attempt to exercise individual authority over the organization.
- Members’ interaction with the Superintendent or with staff must recognize the lack of authority vested in individuals except when explicitly Board-authorized.
- Members' interaction with the public, press or other entities must recognize the same limitation and the inability of any Board member to speak for the Board.
- Except for participation in Board deliberation about whether the Superintendent has achieved any reasonable interpretation of Board policy, members will not express individual judgments of employee performance, including the Superintendent.
- Members will respect appropriate confidentiality regarding issues of a sensitive nature.
- Members will be properly prepared for Board deliberation.
- Members will support the legitimacy and authority of the final determination of the Board on any matter, regardless of the member’s personal position on the issue.